Friday, January 09, 2009
Restore the Queens World's Fair Site
A year ago, we wrote a piece on the need to restore the World's Fair site in Queens. It needs work, and needs an identity that takes advantage of the history, but does not try to re-create what was.
Amazingly, pieces of the 1964 New York World’s Fair are still around, and draw interest. Not only is the park there, with all its pieces (museum, marina) but pieces of the fair are scattered about the United States, still drawing attendance. This is proof that the idea of the park still has legs.
* It’s a Small World lives at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
* Carousel of Progress is at Walt Disney World’s Tomorrowland.
* The Sinclair Dinosaur Uncle Beazley is displayed at the National Zoo, lovingly restored by Smithsonian officials who recognized how much these dino-gas figures are loved.
* Dinosaur Valley State Park preserves other Sinclair dinosaurs.
* The Uniroyal World’s Largest Tire lives in Michigan.
So have some fun. Go back and read our 2008 post on bringing back the World's Fair site in Queens.
Pabst will open an innovation center at their former home, Milwaukee. Great news BrandlandUSA.com is the website of business and trave...
Below is a list of the best American brands that are no more. It's our list of the 100 Brands Americans Miss Most. We have listed a few,...
What happened to our old friends Merita Sweet Sixteen doughnuts? They are now Hostess Sweet Sixteen. Not good. Visit our main site Brandland...